- This event has passed.
Virtual Racial Equity and Gerrymandering Meeting, Tue, Sept 22
September 22, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Fair Districts PA is a coalition of citizens and organizations who believe that gerrymandering undermines American democracy.
- They believe elections should represent the will of all the people, not just the politicians.
- They are working to change Pennsylvania’s redistricting rules to make the process of drawing districts transparent, impartial and fair.
- Please support their statewide movement to end gerrymandering in Pennsylvania.
You are invited to join their next virtual meeting about racial equity and gerrymandering in Pennsylvania. Here are the details:
Mapping toward Racial Equity – In past decades, maps drawn to protect incumbents have made it more difficult for minority communities to gain representation. Racial equity in redistricting is a complex subject, but one it’s important we all understand.
Join us for a statewide virtual forum to hear from voting rights experts, leaders of some PA minority organizations and mappers with experience in creating districts that ensure minority communities are heard.
September 22, 7 to 8:30 pm.
Register here. You’ll receive the Zoom link the day before.
- Offer feedback on our What Matters Most in Drawing Fair Maps survey.
- Check here to find local mapping conversations (or email Outreach@FairDistrictsPA.com to learn how to schedule your own).
- Watch for more information about draft maps and ways to offer feedback.
Timelines: The final Census Bureau data will be released to states two weeks earlier than expected, on September 16. We have no firm timeline for next steps after that but will be asking for a publicized timeline that allows ample time for citizen review and feedback of all proposed maps. The Department of State has asked that final maps be available by January 24. We know new maps can be drawn quickly once data is available in final form. The next weeks will matter!